Bil-Jax was founded in 1946 by two brothers, Bill and Jack Ashenfelter. Their design of a plastering frame for use in their business eventually became so popular they left the plastering business and began manufacturing. In 1947, the design rights for their invention was sold to Wilbur Wyse and Bil-Jax, Inc began manufacturing its first product. The family-owned company continued to expand their offering of fine products until 1993 when Steve Wyse sold Bil-Jax to Plettac AG, a German scaffold manufacturer. In 1995, Bil-Jax moved to its present location at 125 Taylor Parkway in Archbold, Ohio. In December of 2003, the management team, along with a financial partner, Centerfield Capital, purchased Bil-Jax from its German parent. After this, the management team was able to refocus and position themselves to pursue their goals of continuing to provide high quality, leading brand products to the markets they serve.
In 2008, French manufacturer Haulotte Group purchased Bil-Jax. After the acquisition, aerial work platforms manufactured under the Bil-Jax name were re-branded to the Haulotte Group name and this has allowed Bil-Jax to focus on Scaffold and Event product innovations.